There are wonderful scones. Great texture and flavour. Rich and moist lemon blueberry scones with fresh lemon glaze. A fresh and tasty scone recipe perfect for breakfast or brunch!
Lemon Blueberry Scones
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 17 mins
- 1/3 cup sugar
- zest of two large lemons
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter frozen
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup (120g) confectioners’ sugar
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 1 large lemon)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and set oven rack to the middle position. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, gently toss flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside. In a separate small bowl, whisk sour cream and egg until completely smooth. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir sugar and lemon zest together until sugar is moistened and zest is evenly distributed. Pour in flour mixture and toss to combine. Grate frozen butter into mixture. Using your hands, work in the butter until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Gently stir in sour cream mixture until just about combined. Very carefully stir in the blueberries, being careful not to squish them. Do not over work the dough! Again, very gently press the dough against the sides of the bowl a few times and form a ball. The dough will be sticky at first but will come together as you form it.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface and lightly pat into an 8″ circle about 3/4″ thick. Use a very sharp knife to cut into 8 triangles (like a pizza). Transfer triangles onto prepared baking sheet in a circle shape, leaving about 1″ between each one.
- Bake scones for 15-17 minutes or until the tops begin to golden. Don’t take them out too early or they will be too soft. Allow them to cool for 10 minutes on the pan before transferring onto a wire rack to finish cooling completely. During this time, prepare glaze.
- Mix confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice together in a small bowl. Drizzle over warm scones.
- Leftover iced or un-iced scones keep well at room temperature for 2 days or in the refrigerator for 5 days.