AMAZING PIE!!!! So simple…so easy! It was perfect! You still get that tart zip of the rhubarb that I love! Make sure to put some of the sugar mixture on the bottom like the recipe states. This forms a layer under the rhubarb while baking, so that the crust doesn’t get soggy.
Great basic recipe that does the trick for rhubarb lovers! Perfect combination of tart & sweet. it’s the perfect recipe to top off any meal!
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
- 1 cups white sugar
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pound fresh rhubarb, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh strawberries
- 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, mix flour and sugar. Add strawberries and chopped rhubarb. Toss with sugar and flour and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Pour filling into pie crust. Dot top with butter, and cover with top crust. Seal edges of top and bottom crust with water.
- Apply yolk to top of pie, using a pastry brush. Sprinkle with sugar. Cut small holes in top to let steam escape.
- Bake at 400 degrees F (200 degrees C), for 35 to 40 minutes, or until bubbly and brown. Cool on rack.